Photographer Mom Documents Her Kids’ Childhood Without Electronic Devices

Share on Google+

Niki Boon began taking photos as hobby while she was working as a physiotherapist in Scotland. However, the New Zealand native found her interest in the art waning while she travelled, and it wasn’t until she had returned home and started raising a family that her passion was rekindled. “Childhood in the Raw,” an ongoing photo series of her four children’s technology-free life on her 10-acre property in New Zealand, is the perennial fruit of this passion. Boon makes a gift of the photos to each child on his or her birthday.

“My mother died when I was young, and now I have just a couple of small albums of faded but highly treasured six-by-four photos to tell my childhood stories,” Boon explained to National Geographic. “It is my passion to record as much as I can of my children’s day-to-day lives, as well as their adventures, in the most meaningful pictures I can take … their stories, our stories, and a piece of me. They’re for them to enjoy and relive for years to come.”

If you like Boon’s work, you might also enjoy this similar series by Izabela Urbaniak.

More info: nikiboonphotos.com | Facebook | Instagram | 500px (h/t: mymodernmet, NatGeo)

“My children are unschooled and live without TV or modern electronic devises”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-6

This is a “lifestyle that may seem unconventional to some”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-3

“But I am here to celebrate the magical place I choose to live with my family”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-16

“I document their days, together, in an environment full of nature and uninhibited play”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-15

“I photograph as  physical record of their childhood, life as it is…”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-5

“the real…”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-24

“but also as a reflection of a childhood rooted deep in my own past”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-18

“…a most sincere place of freedom”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-14

“A childhood I now pass on to my own children”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-29

“Although deeply personal I believe that others will also connect to some aspect of their own childhood…”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-20

“I believe my children are right where they belong covered in mud”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-19

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-32

“running and living through nature”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-11

“They belong here wild and free”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-17

“where the landscape begins and their little souls end”

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-45

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-23

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-13

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-28

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-1

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-2

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-4

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-44

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-33

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-25

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-34

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-35

raw-childhood-without-electronic-devices-niki-boon-new-zealand-41

Share on Google+

 

Enjoying This? Please Share It!

Don't show again. Close

We really like you, like us back?